I'm pretty sure I've mentioned before how bad of a sweet tooth Jeff & I have. But i don't know if I ever mentioned to what extent. For example, when we first started dating he drove from Birmingham to Athens, Georgia at 11pm on a Monday night just to surprise me with these cupcakes from a bakery in the Ham that i'm over the moon about. Then he drove right back home to be at work Tuesday morning. That's an 8 hour round trip. That's also called being seriously besotted. Another example, right after we were married Jeff came home after an exhausting business trip and realized I ate the last of his fave treat Gone Bananas. To this day, i've never seen him so royally pissed off (haha). Today was one of those days when we both were craving sweets somethin' fierce. And this is what Jeff requested. It's an old family favorite that my Mom made for dessert the first time I brought him home to meet my family. It's ridiculously simple to bake and sinfully delicious. Perfection!
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 pkg 3.4 oz pistachio instant pudding mix
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup veg oil
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup chocolate syrup
- 1/4 tsp green gel food coloring (optional)
- 8 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 TB unsalted butter, softened
- 4 oz bag of pistachios, shelled & chopped
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Prepare your bundt pan by greasing & flouring.
- Begin beating the white cake mix, pudding, orange juice, water, oil & eggs for 3-4 mins on med high.
- Add food coloring then beat just until completely incorporated.
- Pour 3/4 of the batter into your bundt pan.
- Next add the chocolate syrup to the remaining batter and mix well. And pour the chocolate batter on top of the pistachio batter.
- Bake for 1 hour, cool for 10 mins, and then invert onto a pretty cake plate. Let stand 20 mins to cool.
- While your cake is baking, begin preparing the ganache: Place the chopped chocolate in a small heatproof bowl. Bring the heavy cream to a simmer in a small saucepan over med high heat.
- Pour the hot cream over the chocolate & stir until well incorporated and smooth. Whisk in the butter until completely incorporated, then let sit 15-20 mins until cool & thick.
- Once your cake has cooled completely, just spread the ganache over the cake, sprinkle with chopped pistachios and serve.
Mangia Mangia y'all!